This time of year everything feels like it is speeding up. I orginally put together this little guide for myself when i felt things were starting to spiral out of control. I stuck it on the fridge, a bit like a positive affirmation, my christmas mantra. Its seems to be working, well so far so good anyway.
Tip for getting through the festive season;
* Stick to your exercise routine, or as my yoga teacher always says "don't abandon your practice when you need it most". It's so easy this time of year to shop, cook, clean, entertain, decorate a tree, wrap gifts etc etc instead of heading to the gym, going for a run or making it to your regular yoga class.
* Food food food. This time of year is often associated with an increased consumption of rich foods, processed snacks (chips, crackers etc), sweet treats laden with sugar (think pavlova). This year we have decided to keep it simple, high quality produce that sings on its own, instead of fancy time consuming high stress dishes. Think fresh tropical fruit platters, olives, organic greens with a sprinkle of edible flowers, double smoked free range (stall free) ham, fermented pickles, grannies chutney and some organic spelt sourdough bread (thank you Sunday Sustainable Bakery for moving into town). If you do happen to overindulge (lets face it, it is the festive season) then an easy and accessible way to support your digestive system (and LIVER!!!) is herbs in the form of teas!! Try a combination of peppermint, chamomile, lemon balm and fennel for digestion, drink dandelion root for the liver and give your nervous system some support with passionflower, chamomile and licorice root.
* Create an alter or a sacred space. A dedicated place for mediation, prayer, positive thought or just to remind you to smile and breath a little deeper. You don't need a lot of room for an alter or a lot of things, a few crystals, shells, a candle, whatever has meaning and reminds you to stop and just be, even if its only for a fleeting moment.
* Smudge. I find smudging a helpful way to 'wash off' any unwanted outside influences, to shift negative energy. It is grounding but at the same time very relaxing and peaceful.
* Safe guard your energy. A little bit of self love and nurture goes a very long way this time of year. Take the time to have a bath, burn some essential oils, listen to relaxing music, look after and nuture yourself.
* Gratitude. Yes family can be very painful and extremely grating at times, but take the time to cherish those around you, to be grateful for these moments together, for this precious life.